Friday, August 16, 2013

Sleeves to Shorts Refashion

Well I did manage to get some stash refashioning done this week, with kids to boot. If you can't tell I'm pretty proud of myself! I've been loving the bubble shorts for awhile now and while taking this old dress apart I thought the sleeves looked like cute pre-made bubbles if I could figure out how to shape them for a bum.
So, Giggles, aka. Not-Niece 2, and I started out with a dress in pieces and ended with cute shorts.


Stealing one of Cation's words, here's my FAKEtorial on how I did this!
1. I used Made By Rae's Parsley Pants Pattern to trace the front and back crotch line on one sleeve.
2. I inserted one sleeve inside the other and sewed along the line. I trimmed afterward.
3. Realized the top was WAY TOO SKINNY and hacked of a chunk.
4. At this point I had two legs and no bum coverage so I tried them on the kid and measured 4 inches would give her wedgyless shorts.
5. Cut and 8 inch wide strip of fabric that was the same length as the shorts and sewed it into a tube!
6. Folded tube in half and sewed to shorts. Topstitched.
7. Measured elastic, sewed a casing, and inserted through hole in the side seam. Sewed elastic and boom! Shorts!

Basically you're just doing the same steps you would use for any elastic waist kid's pants. I think this would work even better if you were using larger sleeves because then you could cut the whole width of the waistband and wouldn't have to bother with adding a band to make them long enough.
Bum coverage and closeup of back seam.
We had fun and I'm excited that my idea actually worked! There was a moment of panic as I went to sew but I figured I wasn't losing much if it failed since it was old fabric anyway.


So there you have it! The smallest refashion I had planned. Let me know if you need more clarification on the steps or if you'd be interested in an actual step by step tutorial.
How are things going on your end? Have you gotten to sew anything up?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool idea!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've never seen shorts made that way before, very cute!!

Carolyn said...

Oh. My. Gosh, consider my mind blown. This is SOOOO cute and clever!!! You are a genius!

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks!

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks, they are pretty cute if I do say so myself... :) I was tickled when my idea worked out so well.

EmSewCrazy said...

Well thanks. That's high praise coming from you!

The Reckless Needle said...

That's such a cool refashion, love it!!!

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks! I was so tickled when we got it to work out!